Herbal Apprenticeship - Program Structure
Our program is designed to teach people how to use herbs intelligently, effectively and safely on a personal and/or professional level:
- Personal use for yourself and your loved ones
- Professional use:
- Those who wish to become practicing clinical herbalists (i.e.: working with clients in their own business or in a group practice)
- Those who are already working in the health care field who would like to add herbal medicine to their practice
- Those who want to learn herbalism as a building block for running an herb-related business (i.e.: herb farm, store)
What students in the Herbal Apprenticeship say about the program:
- The energy type healing, journeying and intuition, plus supportive community make this class incredibly magical!
- I had a lovely time in the Apprenticeship program. I learned so much, and I am excited to put my new knowledge to use.
- Everything that was taught to me from/by Kathleen Wildwood and Wildwood Institute is amazing!
- Having the guidance of an experienced teacher and the support of my fellow students in such a beautiful setting is such a revitalizing experience.
- I look forward to my weekends at Wildwood Institute, the space here is so comforting and supportive.
The program is divided into three levels of study, each level consists of two six-month semesters:
1st year of study: Herbalist Apprentice
2nd year of study: Master Herbalist Apprentice
3rd year of study: Clinical Herbalist Apprentice
Depending upon the extent of herbal knowledge you are seeking, you may choose to complete the three year program, or take only one or two years. If you would like to work with clients in a professional capacity, you will need to finish the entire three years of study.
Those who successfully complete all the course requirements for each level, including tests, assignments, work-learn and instructor's approval, will receive a certificate of completion for the appropriate level, either Herbalist, Master Herbalist, or Clinical Herbalist.
Each Level includes:
- Twelve weekends of collegiate level instruction, one weekend per month (Saturday-Sunday, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm), with monthly readings, tests, herb reports and assignments
This program was specifically designed for people who have jobs and/or children/elders to care for, with typically 1-3 hours of homework outside of class for each hour of class time
- Hands-on experiential learning at every class, including medicine-making, harvesting, plant identification, and more
- Herb walks and outdoor teaching in Wildwood Garden, and occasional treks to wild areas
Tuition: $3,790 for each year. Payment plans offered at $291.25 a month.
Herbalist Apprentice (Year I)
- Fundamentals of Herbalism I Includes safety, types of preparations, effectiveness, and more
- Fundamentals of Herbalism II Herbalism in the context of modern health care, both conventional and alternative
- Herbal Actions and Vocabulary
- Herbs and Common Health Problems for all Body Systems Digestive, circulatory, nervous, etc.
- Making Herbal Medicines
- Creating your own Home Apothecary
- Evaluation of Scientific Studies
- Fundamentals of Nutrition
- Plant Identification
- Practical Skills for the Herbalist
- Creating your own Materia Medica
- Self-Healing Project
- Introduction to Herbal Energetics
Master Herbalist Apprentice (Year II)
- Common Health Conditions of our Time Inflammatory conditions, chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia, cancer and prevention, advanced topics in women's health, plus more
- Herbal Pharmacology
- Application of Herbal Principles in Practice
- Advanced Herbal Energetics
- Advanced and Expanded Materia Medica
- Advanced and Expanded Apothecary for Home and/or Professional Use
Clinical Herbalist Apprentice (Year III)
- Client Assessment and Evaluation Skills
- Interview Skills
- Client Recommendations How to decide which herbs, foods and lifestyle choices to recommend
- Principles of Clinical Practice
- Herb/Drug interactions
- Clinical Apothecary
- Advanced Topics and Current Issues
- Supervised Clinical Practicum
Go directly to: APPLICATION Page